Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Why I ended up doing a reverse diabetes challenge

First off, I was diagnosed as a pre-diabetec 2 years ago. I was working at a call center and drank lots and lots of coffee, my eyesight which was perfect before became a little blurry. I thought maybe because I was working night shifts. So I decided to look for a day job and applied at Coke. So I got the interview and I needed to take a medical exam. The next day I found out that I have a really high blood sugar count which was beyond normal limits. The doctor said that it was very alarming and that I have pre-diabetes. If I did not lower my blood sugar, I will have Type 2 diabetes in the long run. My results two years ago says: FBS = 11. I can't find my actual results but that's what I remember.

My wife's cousin is a doctor and she looked at my results and confirmed that I am pre-diabetec. She said that I needed to change my diet in order to prevent being a type 2 diabetic. So I did my research and decided what food to eat and not to eat. Changed my staple from rice to corn. Ate fish for a month. Sometimes I eat veggies instead of fish. Only ate crackers for snacks. My blood sugar went down from 11 to 7. But I was not able to stick to my diet. I cheated a little at first eating more food than my allowed diet. Eventually ditching out my diet and went back to my old eating habits.

A year passed, I'm back in a BPO working nights and my eyesight really grew worse. I chalked it up to my getting older. Still stuck to my old eating habits. Avoiding blood sugar checks. Then my eldest son's birthday came up. I ate a lot and drank some. Waking up, my eyesight was much dimmer than before. I was a little concerned but brushed it off as a symptom of little sleep. However at the back of my mind I was thinking that this could be an effect of high blood sugar.

So the next day, I decided to lessen my rice and food intake to half. In just one day my eyesight became normal. Uh-oh. I think that it was a confirmation that it was because of my pre-diabetes. I'm not even sure if it is still pre-diabetes. Maybe I graduated to type 2 diabetes now. I still do not want to go to the doctor to confirm. I don't want to be subjected to a life long prescription of drugs.

I remembered reading an article before when I was researching about diabetes. This article talks about a professor in the UK that reversed his diabetes. His name is Roy Taylor. Please refer to the links below.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/documents/Diabetes-Reversaloftype2studyJune15.pdf

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2385179/I-reversed-diabetes-just-11-days--going-starvation-diet.html

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/documents/StudyRecipes.pdf

His theory says that diabetes can be reversed by eliminating the fat that is surrounding the liver and pancreas. A person can do this by loosing weight and sticking to a low calorie diet for eight weeks. He mentioned that you need to replace your meals with protein shakes and ate veggies.

So that made me think. I am a Herbalife member and we have a protein shake that I can use to replace my meals. I can actually do this diet. Replace 2 meals with a protein shake and eat one normal meal. Professor Taylor actually recommends 3 meals being replaced but I thought that I can't do it immediately. So I will start with 2 meal replacements and eventually will increase to 3 between 2 weeks to a month.

I decided to create this blog in order to monitor myself and monitor what I eat daily. This will force me to stick to my diet and achieve my reverse diabetes challenge.




No comments:

Post a Comment